Current:Home > MarketsSignalHub-Gloria Trevi says she was a 'prisoner' of former manager Sergio Andrade in new lawsuit -Capitatum
SignalHub-Gloria Trevi says she was a 'prisoner' of former manager Sergio Andrade in new lawsuit
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-06 12:03:56
Gloria Trevi has come out against claims she participated in the sexual abuse of young girls with a cross-complaint filed against her former manager,SignalHub Sergio Andrade.
The Mexican pop star, born Gloria de los Ángeles Treviño Ruiz, filed the complaint in Los Angeles Superior Court on Thursday, accusing her 68-year-old ex-producer of sexual assault, sexual battery and intentional infliction of emotional distress, among other charges.
The lawsuit claims Trevi, who has been referred to as the "Mexican Madonna," was under Andrade's "control" from a young age, with her talent exploited by the producer for profit.
She was "little more than a prisoner: controlled, mentally and physically tortured, and effectively enslaved by Andrade," the suit alleges.
In a statement shared with USA TODAY, Trevi, represented by Camille Vasquez, said the cross-complaint was filed in order "to shed light on the alleged wrongdoings and ensure that the truth prevails."
"I have chosen to take this legal action to fight for justice and to send a message that such appalling acts should not be tolerated," Trevi, 55, said in an emailed statement provided to USA TODAY via her lawyers. "No one should have to go through what I experienced, and I am determined to hold those responsible accountable for their actions."
"Our client, Gloria Trevi, has shown immense strength and courage in coming forward and filing this cross-complaint," Vasquez, who previously represented Johnny Depp, said in a statement. "We are fully prepared to present our case and seek justice on her behalf."
A rep for Sergio Andrade could not be reached for comment by USA TODAY.
Gloria Trevi accuses former manager of sexual abuse: What the lawsuit alleges
In the suit, Trevi claims she was watched by other young women under Andrade's control to ensure she "stayed in line" or else face "sadistic punishments" including starvation, "extreme and grueling exercises" and beatings "sometimes to the point of unconsciousness."
"Instead of living the lifestyle of the rich and famous that one might expect of the 'Mexican Madonna,' Ms. Trevi, in private, was often dressed in old rags, sometimes forced to sleep naked for days on a cold bathroom floor," the filing alleges.
The lawsuit includes allegations of rape and "mental, sexual, and other abuse" by Andrade, which eventually led Trevi to attempt suicide.
The cross-complaint follows a reported December 2022 filing in Los Angeles Superior Court. In January, Variety and Rolling Stone reported the lawsuit was filed on Dec. 30, 2022, by two Jane Does, who accused anonymous individuals of "childhood sexual abuse, sexual battery, assault, molestation, and abuse" which led to "substantial emotional distress, anxiety, nervousness, anger and fear."
The filing does not explicitly name Trevi or Andrade as defendants, according to the outlets, instead identifying one as "one of the most highly compensated female artists in Latin America" and the other as "one of the most successful music producers in Mexico."
Trevi's cross-complaint names herself, along with Andrade and Mary Boquitas, a backup singer, explicitly as the defendants. But Trevi's suit alleges Boquitas was another victim of Andrade.
According to the complaint, Andrade secretly married Boquitas, who was a fellow member of the short-lived rock group Boquitas Pintadas with Trevi. Boquitas, like Trevi, "was an underage girl and easy prey to his influence, manipulation, and abuse," the filing alleges.
Trevi's cross-complaint names the Janes Does as cross-defendants, claiming the women, as well as media outlets, have orchestrated "false rumors" by "knowingly and wrongfully attributing blame to Ms. Trevi for wrongs done by Andrade" in order to destroy her career.
Trevi claims she has "stayed silent" about her abuse because she wanted to protect her children while they were underage and "did not wish to relive the awful experiences."
"But her children are now grown, and false attacks against Ms. Trevi persist in blaming her for the acts of the very man who inflicted horrific abuse on her," the filing claims.
Trevi is requesting indemnity in the suit filed in December 2022.
Allegations that Trevi and Andrade abused young girls have come out as early as the 1990s, though Trevi has maintained that she was also a victim of Andrade. In 2000, she began a nearly five-year sentence served in Brazil and Mexico on charges of corrupting minors, for which she was acquitted in 2004.
veryGood! (39)
Related
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- Olivia Munn Marries John Mulaney in Private New York Ceremony
- Giannis Antetokounmpo will carry Greece's flag during Olympic opening ceremony
- NHRA icon John Force transferred from hospital to rehab center after fiery crash
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- Black man's death after Milwaukee hotel security guards pinned him to ground prompts family to call for charges
- Why Kim Kardashian's BFF Allison Statter Is Singing Taylor Swift's Praises
- Taylor Swift Eras Tour: Sign language interpreters perform during Madrid show
- The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
- A city’s fine for a profane yard sign about Biden and Trump was unconstitutional, judge rules
Ranking
- Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
- JoJo Siwa Reveals How Her Grandma Played a Part in Her Drinking Alcohol on Stage
- The Best Deals From Target's Circle Week Sale -- Save Big on Dyson, Apple, Ninja & More
- TikToker Bella Brave, 10, Placed in a Medically Induced Coma
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- BMW recalling more than 390,000 vehicles due to airbag inflator issue
- Pete Rose docuseries coming to HBO this month, will look at lifetime ban and more
- England vs. Netherlands: What to know, how to watch UEFA Euro 2024 semifinal
Recommendation
Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
Save Big on the Cutest Kate Spade Bags You'll Wear Every Day, Including $71 Crossbodies in so Many Colors
Yankees GM Brian Cashman joins team on road amid recent struggles
Powell stresses message that US job market is cooling, a possible signal of coming rate cut
Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
Who starts and who stars for the Olympic men's basketball team?
VP visits U.S. men's basketball team in Vegas before Paris Olympics
New Mexico village ravaged by wildfire gets another pounding by floodwaters